Educated, hard-working women are a valuable resource in the workforce today. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the number of women in the workforce will increase by about 25% in the next eight years! However, the ability to stand out from the crowd has always been a challenge. With the recent growth in distance learning, the number of women taking advantage of what online education has to offer is increasing. More importantly, these proactive women are using their online degrees to show their employers what they can do. If you are interested in upgrading your education, here are five reasons why distance education can help you take that next step.
1. An Edge: Earning your online master’s degree can not only give you an edge over the competition, but it can also attest to your dedication to the field. When you are up against someone with a bachelor’s degree in a job interview, your prospective employer is typically looking to hire the person more qualified for the job. A graduate level degree proves you have the commitment and drive to refine your knowledge of the profession, as well as the experience needed to be a beneficial asset to the company.
2. An Easier Time Progressing in the Company: Whether you are a stay-at-home mom seeking to break into the workforce or an administrative assistant hoping to climb a few rungs on the business ladder, an online degree can grant you the additional boost necessary to succeed. By going back to school to earn your bachelor’s or master’s degree online, you will prove to employers that you are committed to your own line of work, as well as to the prosperity of the entire company.
3. Long Term Savings: There are many reasons distance learning requires less of your savings than a traditional college education. When it comes to a cost comparison of tuition rates, there is no definitive answer as to which route is cheaper because tuition fees vary widely from program to program. However, what online education can offer is a large variety of potential online programs, making it easy for you to find the most cost-effective program. Secondly, many online courses integrate their course work and even their textbook directly into classroom material, thus, cutting down on high book costs. But for many online students, the money saved from not having to drive to a physical campus is the greatest selling point of all. Think about it this way: the money you save can be put toward your children’s college funds, a family vacation or a nice reward for yourself.
4. Freedom of Expression: In a recent report produced by University of Wisconsin-Stout, 62 percent of women shared that they felt more comfortable expressing themselves through an online format versus a face-to-face situation. Alongside convenience and greater job satisfaction, the ability to more openly discuss opinions and ask questions ranks high among women’s reason to enroll in distance education.
5. More Options: If you have a bachelor’s degree in business but would rather pursue a career in graphic design, earning an online bachelor’s degree in graphic design would be very beneficial. In fact, a prospective employer looking for a graphic designer would undoubtedly see your background in business and your graphic design degree as a winning combination that could benefit his/her company.
6. More Money: Let’s face it; we could all put more money to good use in our lives. As mentioned above, the more experience and knowledge you have to offer your company, the more chances you have to grow and progress within the company. This means an increase in salary. Earning an online degree takes money, but the benefits it provides make it worth the initial monetary investment.
7. Convenience and Flexibility: To receive the aforementioned benefits in your career, you have to earn a degree. However, earning your degree online offers benefits in itself. For example, you can continue to work in your current position while you take classes when it is convenient for you. Online courses provide you with information you can use in the workplace, as well as ease in balancing your sometimes hectic life. Through accelerated online degree programs, both working and stay-at-home moms can get educations in less time, without having to sacrifice time with their families.